Monday 8 December 2014

Cleaning A 201-3 Mark I

Hi there and welcome to my dirty world!

Spent just about all day yesterday stripping the insides out of a 201 that was in dire need of some t.l.c.

I don't know if it's because everyone used to smoke back in those days (I'm still guilty) but I swear some of the machines I get have a lifetime of not only sticky and congealed grease and oil on them but also a thick dose of fag smoke mixed into the delightful coating all over what should be the nice shiney bits. This one was worse than normal and even neat alcohol didn't succeed in stripping it off so I had to use Maas metal polish on the worst pieces...

Everything necessary laid out ready for cleaning...you can see nearly everything is near to black-looking...yuck!

and here's one re-assembled after cleaning & polishing...takes a lot of time but aint it worth it!

Always make sure you use screwdrivers of the appropriate size and of the hollow-ground type rather than wedge-shaped as they fit better....and for screws like those for the feed-dogs and needle plates use a ratchet screwdriver to avoid having to struggle with awkward angles and messing up the screw heads...

oh, and don't use alcohol anywhere near the black Japan paintwork as it will strip the lacquer finish...only use it on bare metal. For cleaning the actual body of the machine I only use warm water and a lot of elbow grease with a soft cloth!

regards,

Sonni

...and if you need any help or advice or have any questions, feel free to drop me a line...I'm still very much a newbie at all this, but if I can help, I will:

http://beneaththestars.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment